Anniversary
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, July 19, 2010

Girls Gone Wise

So it has been a while since I last blogged. Nothing really big has happened since the last posting. Chris and I are just doing our regular routines. We recently saw "Inception". So good...go see it! Things will change once school starts in three weeks. Chris will be having a lot on his agenda. There will be lots of reading and working. I am so blessed that I get to call this amazing man my husband.

One thing that has happened since my last post is that I finished reading "Girls Gone Wise" by Mary Kassian. The author really wanted to contrast the life of the Proverbs 7 woman and the modern-day "Girl Gone Wild" with the life of a Girl Gone Wise, like the example from Proverbs 31. Kassian seeks to show the reader that the truths of Scripture are relative for today. The woman in Proverbs 7 is the same woman that modern-day society looks to as the norm and the acceptance.

This book has to be one of my new favorites. It is so practical for any woman in the church today. There are twenty different character qualities that Kassian contrasts, making it really useful for small group studies. This would be so great for high school girls. These young ladies are bombarded all the time with messages to be this Proverbs 7 woman, thinking that these qualities will bring ultimate happiness. Kassian shows that what ultimately brings joy is knowing Jesus and living for Him. Though it may be unpopular to be a Girl Gone Wise, it sure brings great peace and freedom for young women who live like that.

The author of this book, Mary Kassian, is a professor at Southern Seminary. She teaches the women of the school about biblical womanhood and how feminism has affected the church and the home. She has written or contributed to many books, and is a keynote speaker at the True Woman Conference. She is such a valuable resource to women of the church. She grew up in feminist thinking, so she knows many of the arguments that attack biblical womanhood.

There is a conference coming in November at Southern that will address some of the issues that she and others talk about. The W Conference is geared toward high school, college, and young women. Mary Kassian will be the speaker at this conference. I hope to be in attendance and learning even more about what it means to be a woman who seeks after the Lord in all areas of her life. For more information about this conference, check out Southern's website.

I hope to be blogging again soon. Until then, I hope that you enjoy the last half of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers