Anniversary
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ben's Birthday Story

So as you can see by my ticker and blog picture, we have welcomed our son into this world! Benjamin David Garner came on May 21 at 3:11 P.M. He weighed 7 lbs and 8 oz and was 19.5 inches long. Here is the recap on what exactly happened that brought this sweet boy into the world.

On May 12, I went in for my 36 week appointment. I was very excited to see if I had progressed at all. When my doctor checked me, I was a fingertip dialated, my cervix was thinning, and Ben was head-down. I was very encouraged by this report, seeing that both my body and Ben were making progress before labor would start. On May 19, I went in for my 37 week appointment. Again, I was interested in finding out if I had progressed at all from that point. When she checked me, I was 2 cm and 90% effaced. I could not believe how fast I had progressed! I had a gut feeling that something was going to happen that weekend. That Friday was a great day. My father-in-law received his diploma for his MDiv. We were so proud of his accomplishment. That Saturday, some close family friends were throwing him a party in Knoxville. We had planned on going, but my doctor said that there was no way that I was traveling with how I was progressing. Even with her telling us that we couldn't go, it didn't matter in the end.

Throughout the third trimester, I had been getting up a couple times in the night to go to the bathroom. Saturday the 21st was no exception. However, this time was different. When I went to the bathroom at 1:50, I felt a gush. It wasn't a lot, but it was different. I looked online to see if this was really my water breaking. I decided to wait half an hour and then check to see if anything had changed. Sure enough, half an hour went by and I knew that we were going to the hospital. We left the house and got to the hospital at 4:30. We went to triage where they examined me to make sure that my water had broken. They said that it had broken and that I was still 2 cm and 90% effaced. Once they said yes, we went into my hospital room between 5:30 and 6:00.

They started my pitocin at 7:00. I knew from the beginning that I would have an epidural. I had a few friends tell me that as soon as I could to go ahead and take it. I was having some contractions, but they weren't serious. However, I knew that they were only going to intensify. The anesthesiologist came around 7:30. I hate needles, so I was nervous about getting that needle put in my spine. I was surprised at how quickly it went by. All I felt was a burn and pinch, then it was over. As time went on, Chris and my mom would look at the contractions and be amazed. Apparently, they were coming at a good pace, and I wasn't feeling a thing!

They checked me again at 10:00 and I was 7 cm and 100% effaced. I believe it was this time when they told us that he had hair. I was so excited! They checked me again two hours later and I was 9 cm. They said that unless I felt pressure and the need to push, they would come by at 2:00, most likely to push the baby out. I was excited. It would be very soon when I would meet my baby boy! At 12:45, my dad arrived at the hospital. He took a 7:00 flight out of Jacksonville after my mom called him and told him that I was in labor.

They nurse came in at 2:00, checked me, and said that it was time to start pushing. I hadn't seen the doctor hardly at all during the labor. She had 11 of the 19 patients on the floor. The nurse got ready and I started pushing at 2:20. I was completely numb in my legs because of the epidural. Yet after getting the hang of pushing, I started to feel pressure and the need to push. So I pushed through each contraction, getting more excited about meeting Ben. At 3:11 P.M., we finally saw his sweet face! He hardly cried at all, and he was so cute! I could not get over how cute he was! He was 7 lbs 8 oz of cuteness! Tears were in my eyes. I was overwhelmed with love for this little guy.

It has been 11 days since he was born and I have loved every minute of it. Ben is such a content, sweet baby. He hardly cries, he loves to eat, and we have to wake him up in the middle of the night so that he can eat. He has a habit of peeing when getting his diaper changed...or when he's taking a bath. He loves to be snuggled and held, and he loves looking at whoever is talking to him. He has totally captured his daddy's heart, and turned his dad into a sap in the process :)

I cannot imagine life without him. While Chris and I had originally planned to wait a few years before kids, I am so glad that the Lord had other things in store. Being a mommy is such a joy, and I cannot wait to watch him grow. We pray that Ben would come to know the God of his father, and that he will love Jesus and live a life that displays the grace of God.










I hope that you have enjoyed looking at the photos of my boy. I mean, how could you not?! :)
Have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you had a great labor and that Ben arrived a few weeks early :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Followers