Anniversary
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Favorite Modern Worship Songs

One of the great things about being here at Boyce is the emphasis on theology lived out in every-day life. The gospel should permeate our lives in our thoughts, actions, and relationships. Another area should be in our worship. You may say, "Of course worship is filled with the gospel. It's church." I would have to say that even if you sing a song at church, it doesn't mean that you are actually worshiping. So many modern worship songs are me-centered. Now I'm not saying that worship should not be personal. What I am saying is that the focus of worship should be on the Lord, and anything that involves us in worship should be our attitude of gratitude for the wonderful things He has done.

I go to a church that realizes the importance of worship in the church service. This is one aspect about Ninth and O which I love. Dr. Joslin leads us each week to a place that we could do nothing else but praise God. I have continually become appreciative for those who seek to make wonderful worship music. If any of you out there are interested, please check out Keith and Kristyn Getty, Sovereign Grace Music, and Hillsong. Sojourn Community Church in Louisville also makes cd's of worship music. A lot of their songs are actually new arrangements of songs written by Isaac Watts, the famous hymn writer of the 17th and 18th century.

I wanted to put up a few links to songs that I absolutely love. Some of you may have heard a few of these, maybe even all of them. Please listen to the lyrics and how powerful they are.



"All I Have is Christ"
Na Band, Sovereign Grace Music

I once was lost in darkest night, but thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that You would own a rebel to Your will,
And if You had not loved me first I would refuse You still.

But as I ran my hell-bound race, indifferent to the cost,
You looked upon my helpless state and led me to the cross.
And I beheld God's love displayed. You suffered in my place.
You bore the wrath reserved for me. Now, all I know is grace.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ!
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life!

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone, and live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands could never come from me.
O, Father, use my ransomed life in any way You choose
And let my song forever be "My only boast is You!"



"Jesus, Thank You"
Sovereign Grace Music

The mystery of the cross I cannot comprehend,
The agonies of Calvary.
You, the perfect Holy One, crushed Your Son
And drank the bigger cup reserved for me.

Your blood has washed away my sin.
Jesus, thank you!
The Father's wrath completely satisfied.
Jesus, thank you!
Once Your enemy now seated at Your table.
Jesus, thank you!

By Your perfect sacrifice I've been brought near.
Your enemy You've made Your friend.
Pouring out the riches of Your glorious grace.
Your mercy and Your kindness know no end.

Lover of my soul, I want to live for You.
Lover of my soul, I want to live for You.


Read the subtitles. Amazing song.


"At the Cross"
Hillsong


Lyrics are on this one, also. Such a powerful song.


"Stronger"
Hillsong


I love this song!


"Revelation Song"
Kari Jobe




"The Power of the Cross"
Keith and Kristyn Getty

Oh, to see the dawn of the darkest day,
Christ on the road to Calvary.
Tried by sinful men, torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.

This the power of the cross,
Christ became sin for us.
He took the blame, bore the wrath.
We stand forgiven at the cross!

Oh, to see the pain written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Every bitter thought, every evil deed,
Crowning Your bloodstained brow.

Now the daylight flees, now the ground beneath
Quakes as it's Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two. Dead are raised to life.
"Finished" the victory cry!

Oh, to see my name written in the wounds.
For through Your suffering I am free!
Death is crushed is death! Life is mine to live
Won through Your selfless love!

This the power of the cross,
Son of God slain for us!
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross!




"Still, My Soul, Be Still"
Keith and Kristyn Getty

Still, my soul, be still,
And do not fear, though winds of change may rage tomorrow.
God is at your side.
No longer dread the fires of unexpected sorrow.

God, you are my God.
And I will trust in You and not be shaken.
Lord of peace, renew
A steadfast spirit within me to rest in You alone.

Still, my soul, be still,
Do not be moved by lesser lights and fleeting shadows.
Hope unto His ways
With shield of faith against temptation's flaming arrows.

Still, my soul, be still,
Do not forsake the truth you learned in the beginning.
Wait upon the Lord
And hope will rise as stars appear when day is dimming.


I hope by seeing some of these songs that you were encouraged by what was sung. These songs are a great reminder of the many ways the the Lord proves Himself good and faithful to us. If you do not know of the Lord's faithfulness, I pray that you will know it from this time forward.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the post. i so agree. here are a couple of my favs.
    http://www.redmountainchurch.org/rmm/
    Matt Maher - love his second album Welcome to Life - loving this song right now Isaiah 61 http://www.spiritandsong.com/compositions/66129
    lovin this song right now http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=TCunuL58odQ&feature=related
    by the way, a friend of ours is Kari Jobe's music director and also plays guitar for her. if you're ever in the mood for something a little different he has band that is really great. http://www.myspace.com/airreview great group of guys that love God and love playing music. love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Followers